(RADIATOR) ODBC on MacOS X

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Wed Jul 18 02:03:39 CDT 2007

Hello Everyone -

With the recent upsurge in the use of MacOS X amongst our customers,
I thought it would be useful to provide a guide to using ODBC on
MacOS X.

Radiator can be configured to use an SQL database for various
purposes, and uses the Perl DBI/DBD modules to do this.

ODBC is the "Open DataBase Connectivity" specification for connecting
to SQL databases, and there is a DBD-ODBC module available from CPAN.

MacOS X includes an ODBC Administrator application in "Applications-
 >Utilities->ODBC Administrator", however building DBD-ODBC is
problematic due to the lack of the required support files.

There is a description of the process that is necessary to build DBD-
ODBC on the iODBC web site ("www.iodbc.org") here:

	http://www.iodbc.org/index.php?page=languages/perl/odbc-perlHOWTO

The description in this document is slightly inaccurate regarding the
"iODBC Driver Manager Source and SDK", as there is a Universal
Installer package available here:

	http://download.openlinksw.com/download/download.vsp

		Development Tools and Frameworks -> Enterprise

The installer package installs a MacOS X native application in
"Applications->Utilities->OpenLink ODBC Administrator" and the
developer tools in "/usr/local/iODBC".

You can use either the Apple version of "ODBC Administrator" or the
"OpenLink ODBC Administrator" to set up DSN's and so on once the
necessary ODBC drivers have been installed.

I have tested Radiator against MySQL using the MySQL ODBC driver from
the MySQL web site ("www.mysql.com"):

	http://dev.mysql.com/downloads/connector/odbc/3.51.html

I have also installed the ODBC drivers from Actual Technologies:

	http://www.actualtechnologies.com/product_opensourcedatabases.php

And of course the ODBC drivers from OpenLink should also work:

	http://uda.openlinksw.com/

Once the appropriate ODBC driver is installed it should also be
possible to connect to any SQL database that includes ODBC interface
support.

If anyone has any questions or further comments regarding ODBC please
post to the mailing list.

NB:

radiator)?
Have you checked the RadiusExpert wiki: