(RADIATOR) PAP authentication amidst various EAP types

Peter Bates Peter.Bates at lshtm.ac.uk
Tue Jan 30 12:07:51 CST 2007

Hello all...

> On 30/01/07 at 06:45, Hugh Irvine <hugh at open.com.au> wrote:

> Your default Handler can do something like this:
>

> <Handler>
>
> 	AuthByPolicy ContinueUntilAccept
<snip>
></Handler>

I've tried this, but it doesn't really solve the problem.

Basically, I have clients who might be a) using PAP authentication via a Web redirect platform
or mostly b) clients using EAP/PEAP or EAP/TTLS. It would be nice to support a), the support for b) is working fine.

In addition I have other potential clients (with non-local realms)
who are authenticated remotely via proxying/chaining to another RADIUS server.

<Handler realm=lshtm.ac.uk>
# Realm is explicitly set in request, or outer identity of EAP client
AuthBy TUNNEL
</Handler>

<Handler Realm= >
# Null/empty realm, presumably a local user
AuthBy TUNNEL
</Handler>

<Handler>
# Send everything else remotely
AuthBy RADIUS ...
</Handler>

# TUNNEL AuthBy
<AuthBy FILE>
Identifier TUNNEL
EAPType PEAP,TTLS
<snip assorted certificate configuration>
EAPAnonymous %0
</AuthBy>

<Handler TunnelledByPEAP=1>
RewriteUsername       s/^([^@]+).*/$1/
AuthBy TestUP (Novell eDirectory passwords)
</Handler>

<Handler TunnelledByTTLS=1>
RewriteUsername       s/^([^@]+).*/$1/
AuthBy TestUP (Novell again)
</Handler>

The EAP stuff is fine.
A PAP request however coming in (from a fixed group of clients, admittedly)
matches on the <Handler realm=lshtm.ac.uk> or <Handler realm= >
and then gets sent down the tunnel, presumed to be an EAP request.

I can use 'AuthByPolicy ContinueUntilAccept'
and do

AuthBy TUNNEL
AuthBy TestUP

but then one or the other breaks.

I can uniquely identify the clients the requests might come from,
but then their requests might be EAP, or might be PAP.

I thought I might be able to do 'Client-Identifier=x, Realm=lshtm.ac.uk, TunnelledByTTLS=0, TunnelledByPEAP=0'
but of course that isn't the case with those requests.

At the end of the day it's not crucial because the PAP support is for backwards compatibility
with sites running Web Redirect portals for access to their network (rather than 802.1x)
but it might be nice to be able to support it, or work out where my convoluted configuration is going wrong!

Peter Bates, Systems Support Officer, IT Services.
London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine.
Telephone:0207-958 8353 / Fax: 0207- 636 9838

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au