(RADIATOR) authorizing dialup+wifi against single user database

Dave Kitabjian dave at netcarrier.com
Wed Jan 24 12:34:29 CST 2007

Hello folks,

We have a large dialup user base already managed via Radiator and now we
are preparing to implement wifi hotspot access. Naturally, we would like
to offer wifi access to selective, existing dialup users, and vice
versa. Although we haven't played with this type of functionality much,
my understanding of RADIUS was that we would be easily able to manage
what types of access are authorized to which users. But I can't figure
out how?

I thought Service-Type might be the place to look since the RFC says
that the NAS "MUST treat unknown or unsupported Service-Types as though
an Access-Reject had been received instead", but the RFC says only one
may be sent back to the NAS, making me uncertain how to give a single
user access to both dialup and wifi.

Can someone kindly enlighten me?

Thanks!

Dave

p.s. btw, I realize that we might be able to achieve this with
Radiator's "alternation" feature using a NAS-Port-Type Check Item, but
that will require some development on our part, whereas support for
arbitrary Reply Items is something we already have in place...