(RADIATOR) High Availability with MySQL

Joe (Mobile) joemobil at gmail.com
Sun Jan 21 01:53:54 CST 2007

We've got our Radiator setup to work with a database as backend for
authentication and accounting. Now my only concern is that high
availability and redundancy isn't warranted in the current single
machine setup. Therefore I'm desperately searching for ways to achieve
this with minimal to mediocre costs.

I've searched and read a bit about high availability on this list, but
most of the posts are quite out-dated and only a few mention actual
working setups beyond pure theory. So I was wondering if someone had
such a setup running or could give a few thoughts about the available
options.

I've read that multiple Radiator instances can work together out of
one database - is that right? Are there any MySQL redundancy options
out there other than MySQL Cluster (which has quite a few limitations
and needs tremendous amounts of RAM) or chain replication (which is a
horror to bring back online after an outage)?

I've also heard about a product from emicnetworks (now called
continuent) which also have an open sourece solutution (see
continuent.org) for building a special type of database cluster, but I
haven't found anyone who used it and could give a few thoughts about
it. Has anyone here worked with that and had success?

Any help would be much appreciated!

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au