(RADIATOR) DSL Auth setup

Joe Hughes joeyconcrete at gmail.com
Thu Aug 16 03:18:14 CDT 2007

We do exactly the same using Alive records (+gigawords), SQL and
triggers. Everytime we insert the Alive record, it fires off a trigger
which goes off and calculates the usage since the last update, updates
the current session and updates the usage table. There's a few other
things to handle, like updates rolling over days, the first update for
a given session etc. I decided on hourly updates, based on the number
of users and the granularity I needed.

This whole system links into our traffic shaper, so if someone exceeds
a given monthly cap - we can make a call to limit their connection
speed. This in itself needed a bit of work, in order to track their IP
address, remove the restriction on log-off or when the cap expires
(end of month) etc.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au