(RADIATOR) Duplicate Requests - Randomness

Joe Hughes joeyconcrete at gmail.com
Tue Aug 7 03:10:58 CDT 2007

On 06/08/07, Hugh Irvine <hugh at open.com.au> wrote:

> Hello Joe -
>
> These requests are being sent from the NAS, as duplicates, because of
> one of the following reasons:
>
> 1. NAS software bug
>
> 2. NAS does not receive a response at all
>
> 3. NAS does not receive a resonse within the RADIUS timeout window

After further investigation today at the database level (traces etc) -
there was a scheduled maintenance plan (SQL2000) that rebuilt some
indexes and did various DB maintenance tasks around this time. Our
Accounting table is quite large, in terms of rows - so during the
Insert (while various DB related tasks are running) I think Radiator
is experiencing a delay from the database - causing it not to reply
immediatley, meaning the NAS is re-transmitting the messages,
resulting in duplicate insert attempts (with varying Acct-Delay-Times)
when it finally does respond (or so it seems).

To get round the issue we're doing some database optimization, file
optimization, dumping historic data into flat-files to keep the tables
lean etc - to improve things and improve the response times.

I guess another option would be to amend the timeout option on the
NAS, just to wait that little bit longer?

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au