(RADIATOR) Multiple radius instances problem (possible remote consulting and professional services)

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Thu Apr 26 16:46:31 CDT 2007

Hello Sergio -

Thanks for the additional information.

It is not clear to me why the dialup instances take so much longer
than the DSL instances to do the authentication. You also don't show
how long the accounting is taking.

In any case, if the problem is slow LDAP and SQL databases you should
address those issues first.

I am guessing that there is some event like a DSL RAS rebooting that
is causing a burst of authentication requests that swamp the
authentication server(s).

How many RADIUS requests per second are hitting the boxes?

BTW - the numbers you show for the SUN LDAP server are consistent
with what I have observed at other sites - it doesn't seem to be able
to process more than at the most 10 requests per second. This being
the case, whenever you have more than 10 requests per second arriving
in Radiator you will have a problem.

There may also be a problem with inserting the accounting data into
the MySQL database, but you have not provided any information on that.

NB:

radiator)?
Have you checked the RadiusExpert wiki:
http://www.open.com.au/wiki/index.php/Main_Page