(RADIATOR) CHAP and PAP

Mike Gomez mgomez at iland.net
Thu Oct 26 16:53:15 CDT 2006

Hi All,

I've run into a bit of a problem that I'm hoping I can figure out without
having to do too much of an overhaul on our mysql database. ;)  We've been
using Radiator and PAP authentication for years (using just standard unix
encryption on passwords).  We've just recently switched dialup providers, and
some of the Qwest numbers they use only allow CHAP.

It's only for a small subset of my users that this is causing a problem for
(150 out of the 12,000 or so in the database).  Since my passwords aren't in
clear text, CHAP won't work.  From what I've read, I believe I could change
all of my users to clear text passwords and then both PAP and CHAP would
work, but I'd honestly like to avoid making changes to all 12,000 users and
just change the 150 that are having problems.

We use the EncryptedPassword option, since we don't have {crypt} specified
before each password.  Is there any way I could just change the problem users
to have their passwords set as "{clear}password" in mysql and not have to end
up changing all of the rest of the passwords (either to clear text, or by
putting {crypt} in front of them)?  I'm reading through the reference manual,
but the only way I can see to do this is either by changing everyone to clear
text, or using the {} before each user's password to describe whether it's
encrypted of not.

Thanks in advance for any help! :)
--
Mike Gomez