(RADIATOR) Cisco PIX & Radius Authentication Help!

Nicole Layne NLayne at bb.ibm.com
Mon Jan 16 08:14:05 CST 2006

Thanks for looking at this problem and sorry about the lack of proper
information:

VPN Client: 4.6.00.0045

Client is running on Windows XP, Server/Radiator is running on Windows XP.

It's a workgroup environment, no domain.

Please find the radiator config file attached.

On the PIX side, it's version 7.0(4)

Here is the configuration:

Trace from Radiator:

C:\Project\Radiator\goodies>c:\perl\bin\perl c:\perl\bin\radiusd
-config_file platypus.cfg -trace 4

Mon Jan 16 08:41:47 2006: DEBUG: Finished reading configuration file
'platypus.cfg'
This Radiator license will expire on 2006-01-30
This Radiator license will stop operating after 1000 requests
To purchase an unlimited full source version of Radiator, see
http://www.open.com.au/ordering.html
To extend your license period, contact admin at open.com.au

Mon Jan 16 08:41:48 2006: DEBUG: Reading dictionary file './dictionary'
Mon Jan 16 08:41:48 2006: DEBUG: Creating authentication port 0.0.0.0:1645
Mon Jan 16 08:41:48 2006: DEBUG: Creating accounting port 0.0.0.0:1646
Mon Jan 16 08:41:48 2006: NOTICE: Server started: Radiator 3.13 on Billing
(LOCKED)

Question:

Where it says port 0.0.0.0:1645, should this be "ip address of machine
running radiator":1645?

Thanks again for any light you can shine...

Kind Regards,
Nicôle

Hugh Irvine <hugh at open.com.au>
01/13/2006 08:01 PM

Nicole Layne/Barbados/IBM at IBMCA
cc
<radiator at open.com.au>
Subject
Re: (RADIATOR) Cisco PIX & Radius Authentication Help!

Hello Nicole -

What VPN client are you using? And what platform is the client
running on and what platform is the server running on?

In general a VPN client on Windows will be looking for the Windows
domain to join.

Also note that when you ask questions it is much easier for us to
help if you include as much information as possible, including at the
very least a copy of the configuration file and a trace 4 debug from
Radiator showing what is happening.

On 14 Jan 2006, at 00:31, Nicole Layne wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a Cisco PIX 515E, which I've configured for radius
> authentication.
>
> Radiator is set up, where I have the ip address of the PIX as the
> client, and the standard author & authen ports.
>
> What puzzles me is that when a VPN client tries to log in & it
> tries to authenticate against the radius server, it asks for
> username, password & domain.
>
> What domain value is it looking for?
>

> Thanks in advance for any thoughts on this topic and how I may
> further configure.
>

> The PIX is at version 7.0(4). Platypus billing is the backend
> database that radius uses. I test the username & password against
> the radius server locally and that part works fine.
>

> Kind Regards,
> Nicôle

NB:

radiator)?