(RADIATOR) Support for Microsoft groups with AuthBy LSA

romanjoh at msnotes.wustl.edu romanjoh at msnotes.wustl.edu
Wed Aug 2 08:25:44 CDT 2006

Here is a link that explains the three types of group:

http://technet2.microsoft.com/WindowsServer/en/library/79d93e46-ecab-4165-8001-7adc3c9f804e1033.mspx?mfr=true

The highlights:  "There are three group scopes: universal, global, and
domain local.

Members of universal groups can include other groups and accounts from any
domain in the domain tree or forest and can be assigned permissions in any
domain in the domain tree or forest.

Members of global groups can include other groups and accounts only from
the domain in which the group is defined and can be assigned permissions in
any domain in the forest.

Members of domain local groups can include other groups and accounts from
Windows Server 2003, Windows 2000, or Windows NT domains and can be
assigned permissions only within a domain."

Here is another link:
http://www.samspublishing.com/articles/article.asp?p=98126&seqNum=2&rl=1

Our need is to permit wireless access to members of a group.  The group is
in one domain (the forest root domain) and the users are in subdomains in
that forest.  This requires the use of universal groups rather than global
groups.  I have just exhausted my understanding of things Microsoft since I
come from the networking side, but if you have more questions let me know.
I do wonder what is the difference between global and universal groups that
they are treated differently in the system call below.

Many thanks,

john

             Hugh Irvine
             <hugh at open.com.au
                                       romanjoh at msnotes.wustl.edu
             08/02/2006 03:41                                           cc
             AM                        radiator at open.com.au
                                                                   Subject
                                       Re: (RADIATOR) Support for
                                       Microsoft groups with AuthBy LSA

Hello John -

At the moment Radiator only supports Global groups - but can you
point us to some description of Universal groups?

On 2 Aug 2006, at 02:42, romanjoh at msnotes.wustl.edu wrote:

> We are evaluating Radiator to replace another Radius server, and
> our need is to be able to authenticate users by Microsoft groups.
> Specifically, we need support for universal groups.Three types of
> Microsoft groups: Domain Local Groups, Global Groups, and Universal
> Groups.
>
> The documentation indicates in 5.51.7 that "Only Global groups are
> supported" for Groups in AuthBy LSA. The Perl code is:
> Win32::NetAdmin::GroupIsMember($controller, $group, $username) in
> AuthLSA.pm. I have not been able to tell from the ActiveState/
> Win32::NetAdmin documentation which types of groups are supported.
>
> Does this mean (as it appears) that Universal Groups are not
> supported? Does anyone have any experience or knowledge?
>

> John Roman
>
> jroman at wustl.edu
> Manager, Network Services
> Washington University