(RADIATOR) Mac OS X, MD5 and no internet access

Oliver Jeckel jeckel at brainworks.de
Thu Apr 20 04:14:11 CDT 2006

Hi list,

I am evaluating the Radiator software and have difficulties with some
eap-methods and hope some of you have an idea. I am using Mac OS X
10.4.6 on a PowerBook G4 as a supplicant, Airport Extreme Basestation
as an authenticator, and the Radiator software on Mac OS X 10.4.6
configured for eap-md5.

Here is what happens:

I connect to the wlan using Internet Connect. When it comes to the
authentication part, everything looks good – radiator in debug mode
tells me that the access has been accepted and also Internet Connect
tells me that I am connected to the wlan with md5. The only things
which does not work is accessing the internet. I do not have an
airport signal in the menu bar, nor does my PowerBook has a valid ip-
address (it does have a self-signed though).
The same happens if I try to use eap-peap. Same results.

I know that the latter requires valid certificates on the client. The
funny thing is that other authentication methods work as they should
(eap-tls, eap-ttls). I even got authetication against the LDAP server
of my Mac OS X Server working.

I know MD5 is probably not mentioned to be secure anylonger, but Peap
is. And I am curious why it won't work.

Anyone?

Oliver