(RADIATOR) Log message "Too many open files"

Patrick, Robert Robert.Patrick at hq.doe.gov
Sat Apr 15 23:12:53 CDT 2006

I have confirmed that many of the older Cisco switches on my network (we
have hundreds of Cisco switches, many still run older IOS & CatOS
versions) don't close their TCP sessions during login failures via
TACACS.  This results in Radiator having many open sessions when viewed
by netstat.   Restarting Radiator causes the sessions to quickly timeout
and drop off.

What can I do so Radiator is immune to this "bug" in the older Cisco
devices?  Is there a timeout value that can be set?

As a workaround I'm considering restarting Radiator every hour via
cron...kludge.