(RADIATOR) PEAP/MSCHAPv2 Machine Authentication

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Mon Oct 3 18:16:48 CDT 2005

Hello Matthew,

On Tuesday 04 October 2005 06:32, Matthew Alexander wrote:
> Thanks Mike,
>
> I have the latest patch installed, but am still seeing the issue.  Please
> take a look at my config and traces.  The file second_machine_auth_failure
> was of particular interest to me because it looked like ntlm_auth came back
> with a successful authentication, but Radiator rejected it.  That is one of
> only three times I have seen that happen - most of the time auth fails
> completely with ntlm_auth reporting either unknown username or wrong
> password.  I made no mods to the config during any of these tests and have
> no idea why I am getting different results on subsequent attempts.  I
> noticed that after a failed machine auth, my user auth would fail as well.
> Once I restarted Radiator, user auth would succeed - until I tried a
> machine auth.  Then I would have to restart Radiator.

Thanks for your note and logs.
Here are my observations:

user_auth_fail_and_success
In this one the first user auth failed with unknown username and the second
succeeded, but the first was for username mra4d and the second for
HSCDOM\mra4d. This indicates that you need a DefaultRealm in your
configuration file.

first_machine_auth_failure
In this one the first auth is a mchine auth that gets rejected with a wrong
password. The second one seems to receive no sensible reply from ntlm_auth,
just a '.'. It turns out that this is broken behaviour in some versions of
ntlm_auth. We have now made a change to AuthBy NTLM to avoid this problem.
This would cause a failed authentication to interfere with the following
authentication, whether or not it was correct. The fix is now in the latest
patch set.

second_machine_auth_failure
In this one both NTLM machine authentications appear to succeed, but the
client does not seem to like the authenticator and terminates the
authentication.
We are investigating this one now. I will keep you posted.

Please try the latest patch set and report your findings.
Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au