(RADIATOR) Server and Client verification in RADSEC

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Tue Nov 29 16:11:03 CST 2005

Hello all,

After some further discussion with Jan, the RadSec certificate validation has
been finetuned in the latest patch set. Here is the description from the
reference manual:

If a peer presents a certificate (TLS_RequireClientCert), then it is always
validated using the peer certificate issuer's Root Certificate (see
TLS_CAFile or TLS_CAPath) and any certificate revocation list (CRL) for the
certificate's issuer (see TLS_CRLCheck, TLS_CRLFile). If that is successful,
the contents of the peer certificate are checked:

In the RadSec server the client certificate is examined. It is accepted if:

the certificate contains a subjectAltName extension of type IPADDR that
matches the client's IP address or,
there were no subjectAltName extensions, but the certificate Subject contains
a Common Name (CN) that matches the client's IP address or,
the certificate Subject matches the TLS_ExpectedPeerName pattern.

In the RadSec client, the server certificate is examined. It is accepted if:

the certificate contains a subjectAltName extension of type IPADDR or DNS that
matches the Host name used to connect to the server or,
there were no subjectAltName extensions, but the certificate Subject contains
a Common Name (CN) that matches the Host name used to connect to the server

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

TTLS, PEAP etc on Unix, Windows, MacOS, NetWare etc.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au