(RADIATOR) rate limiting support for Radiator

Christian Kratzer ck-lists at cksoft.de
Fri Jan 14 04:49:12 CST 2005

Hi,

On Thu, 13 Jan 2005, Claudio Lapidus wrote:

> Hello Christian
>
>> exactly what is it that you want to rate limit ? radius-requests ?
>
> There is a problem associated with very large access servers, typically in
> ADSL environments. When, due to some problem in the network or in the box
> itself, a lot (or all) of its users get disconnected at once, later, when
> the original problem is solved you end up with thousands of users trying to
> reconnect all at the same time, causing what is known as a "storm" of
> Access-Requests. This poses a particular performance problem, especially
> when the radius server in turn must proxy the requests to some other
> servers, propagating the problem further into the network.
>
> The solution could be a mechanism built into the server process that, given
> certain conditions, forwards to the proxy chain only a fraction of the
> messages intended for it, in order to protect the remote server from the
> traffic spike. The remaining requests could well be denied, forcing the end
> user to try a reconnection some seconds later. This, at least in theory,
> would achieve some effect of "shaping" the Radius traffic upstream in the
> proxy chain.

rejecting auth requests would of course help in these situations.

The other problem in this context would be the storm of accounting
requests for the stop records.  I would not like to lose these if
rate limiting kicks in.

If rate limiting is implemented a similar mechanism to AcctFailedLogFileName
to accept and save accounting requests might be needed. These accounting
requests could then be later replayed and passed to the servers further
down the line.

Greetings
Christian

Christian Kratzer                       ck at cksoft.de
CK Software GmbH                        http://www.cksoft.de/
Phone: +49 7452 889 135                 Fax: +49 7452 889 136

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au