(RADIATOR) Radiator & Server Capacity

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon Feb 14 00:17:37 CST 2005

Hello Shan -

What we do here is the following:

start Radiator like this:

	perl radiusd -foreground -log_stdout -trace -1 -config_file ......

the "-trace -1" will cause Radiator to log the number of requests
processed per second to the command line, once per second

then on another host, run the radpwtst program in a script to do random
username/password checks

check the number of requests per second processed by radiusd

repeat running the radpwtst script with multiple instances until the
number of requests per second shown by radiusd stabilises

then move to another host and run the same radpwtst scripts again until
the number of requests per second shown by radiusd stops increasing

repeat the above step as many times as neccessary

this will show you the maximum number of requests per second that this
instance of radiusd can process

it is usually a good idea to start with a very simple instance of
radiusd with just an AuthBy INTERNAL clause to establish a baseline

Note that it is essential to run the radpwtst scripts on separate hosts
so that there is no interference with the radiusd process. Also note
that it is essential to do "random" username/password checks to avoid
cache hits giving misleading statistics.

You can of course also use any of the radius stress testing tools to
accomplish the same thing.

Once you have the performance numbers, you should run radiusd with
-trace 4 and a LogMicroseconds logger so you can see exactly how much
time the various processing steps are taking. Our observations are that
it is almost always external resources like SQL or LDAP databases that
limit performance. In almost all cases a good database administrator is
your best friend!

Hope that helps.

On 14 Feb 2005, at 06:17, S H A N wrote:

> hi,
> 	is there are recommended approach on how to define
> radiator/server capacities?
>
> 	how can i find out that what would it take from radiator (radius
> traffic and no. of instances) to saturate the computing resources.
>
> rgds,

NB:

Have you searched the mailing list archive
(www.open.com.au/archives/radiator)?

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au