(RADIATOR) radius proxy and (non-) concurrency

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Fri Feb 11 08:08:54 CST 2005

Hello Tariq -

In the case of proxied requests, Radiator operates asynchronously, with
each request sent to the remote server(s) and state maintained awaiting
a response. Radiator continues processing requests and deals with the
proxy responses when and if they arrive.

See the code in "Radius/AuthRADIUS.pm" for details.

On 11 Feb 2005, at 14:58, Tariq Rashid wrote:

> We're considering using a front-end radius server instance as a proxy -
> which will proxy depending on the user's domain name.
>
> The question I have is to do with concurrency.
>
> As I understand it - Radiator is single-threaded. A such, if it is
> used as a
> proxy, will it havw to wait for a reply from a proxied request before
> it can
> proxy a second and subsequent requests?
>
> For example:
> 	* Radiator-Porxy proxy server instance forwards radius requests to
> Radius-A and Radius-B,
> 	  depending on domain.
>
> 	* A request arrives at Radiator-Proxy and is determined to go to
> Radius-A. It is sent.
> 	  However Radius-A (or its backend) don't reply quickly - taking 5
> seconds or more.
>
> 	* A second request arrives at Radiator-Proxy.
>
> 	* Since Radiator-Proxy is single threaded it cannot forward the
> second request.
> 	   It must wait for the reply from Radius-A or a timeout.
>

> Is this correct? If it is, it would make sense to have a threaded
> radius
> proxy server as the forwarding proxy - perhaps with 3000 threads
> configured.
> It would then take 3000 delayed resoponses to fill exhaust the 3000
> threads.
>

> Comments / corrections welcome.
>
> Tariq

NB:

Have you searched the mailing list archive
(www.open.com.au/archives/radiator)?

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au