(RADIATOR) radius proxy and (non-) concurrency

Tariq Rashid tariq.rashid at uk.easynet.net
Fri Feb 11 05:58:07 CST 2005

We're considering using a front-end radius server instance as a proxy -
which will proxy depending on the user's domain name.

The question I have is to do with concurrency.

As I understand it - Radiator is single-threaded. A such, if it is used as a
proxy, will it havw to wait for a reply from a proxied request before it can
proxy a second and subsequent requests?

For example:
	* Radiator-Porxy proxy server instance forwards radius requests to
Radius-A and Radius-B,
	  depending on domain.

	* A request arrives at Radiator-Proxy and is determined to go to
Radius-A. It is sent.
	  However Radius-A (or its backend) don't reply quickly - taking 5
seconds or more.

	* A second request arrives at Radiator-Proxy.

	* Since Radiator-Proxy is single threaded it cannot forward the
second request.
	   It must wait for the reply from Radius-A or a timeout.

Is this correct? If it is, it would make sense to have a threaded radius
proxy server as the forwarding proxy - perhaps with 3000 threads configured.
It would then take 3000 delayed resoponses to fill exhaust the 3000 threads.

Comments / corrections welcome.

Tariq

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au