(RADIATOR) How to differentiate between user auth and MAC address auth

Michael Harlow Michael.Harlow at utas.edu.au
Thu Apr 14 03:43:08 CDT 2005

Hi,

I'm wondering if anyone knows how to differentiate between an access request
from a wireless access point that is part of MAC address authentication for
association, followed by the username authentication as part of TTLS/PAP.
Both requests come from the same NAS client, with the same secret, and both
are access request packets. I need to send the MAC address off to a mysql
table for checking if it is registered, and usernames thru to an LDAP
server.

I have the LDAP/username part working, but I need to add the MAC address
checking as well.

Do I do some sort of fall-thru, checking the MySQL table first, then if not
found try the LDAP server? Problem is, if a user were to enter their MAC
address as their username in the 2nd part of the authentication, the
TTLS-PAP would succeed too, by hitting in the MySQL table, and not looking
in the LDAP system. Effectively I create passwordless accounts for each
mac-address that could be used for both access requests.

Any suggestions?
Thanks, Michael

Michael Harlow              Private Bag 69
Network Engineer            Hobart Tasmania 7001
IT Resources                Ph  03 6226 1812
University of Tasmania      Mob 0438 26 1812
Michael.Harlow at utas.edu.au  Fx  03 6226 7171

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au