(RADIATOR) Set Max Connect-Rate?

Jason Haltom jasonh at ideateksystems.com
Wed Apr 6 21:11:14 CDT 2005

Hello all,

I have been looking and looking and can not find all the info I need for
this.

Is it possible to send a max connect rate back to a NAS?

Here is the situation:  We run a dialup svc and some of our customers
are connecting at speeds that are to fast for their own good.  We want
to limit that speed on our end if possible, and is dependant on the
user.
I have looked at 13.1.15 Connect-Rate in the ref manual and tried to set
it up, but it is not working.
Here is what my auth statement looks like

<AuthBy SQL>
  AccountingTable ACCOUNTING
  AcctColumnDef USERNAME, User-Name
  AcctColumnDef TIME_STAMP Timestamp, timestamp
  AcctColumnDef ACCTSTATUSTYPE, Acct-Status-Type
  AcctColumnDef ACCTDELAYTIME, Acct-Delay-Time, integer
  AcctColumnDef ACCTINPUTOCTETS, Acct-Input-Octets, integer
  AcctColumnDef ACCTOUTPUTOCTETS, Acct-Output-Octets, integer
  AcctColumnDef ACCTSESSIONID, Acct-Session-Id
  AcctColumnDef ACCTSESSIONTIME, Acct-Session-Time, integer
  AcctColumnDef ACCTTERMINATECAUSE, Acct-Terminate-Cause
  AcctColumnDef NASIDENTIFIER, NAS-IP-Address
  AcctColumnDef NASPORT, NAS-Port, integer
  AcctColumnDef FRAMEDIPADDRESS, Framed-IP-Address
  AcctColumnDef CONNECTINFO, Connect-Info
  AcctColumnDef CALLERID, Calling-Station-Id
  AcctColumnDef CALLEDID, Called-Station-Id
AuthSelect select PASSWORD, IDLETIME, MAXLOGTIME, CONNECTRATE from
SUBSCRIBERS where USERNAME='%n' and STATE!='1'
  AuthColumnDef 0, Password, check
  AuthColumnDef 1, Idle-Timeout, reply
  AuthColumnDef 2, Session-Timeout, reply
AuthColumnDef 3, Connect-Rate, reply
  DBAuth ideatek
  DBSource dbi:mysql:radius
  DBUsername root
  FailureBackoffTime 30
  Identifier accounting
  Timeout 30
</AuthBy>

For our test setup, our database has CONNECTRATE of 28800.

With "AuthColumnDef 3, Connect-Rate, reply" when connecting the logs
show "Invalid reply item Connect-Rate ignored"
So I tried "AuthColumnDef 3, Connect-Rate, check" and I get connection
rejected with this in the logs "Access rejected for
jason at ideateksystems.com: Connect-Rate 28800 does not allow a speed of
52000 LAPM/V42BIS"

We are using a Portmaster-3 with ComOS 3.8.2c2 and from my understanding
it has the capability.  Shouldn’t the max rate be a reply as it is
telling the NAS to not negotiate anything below that?

Any hints or ideas?

Thanks,
Jason

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au