(RADIATOR) PEAP-MSCHAPv2 don't assign WEP key

Martin Burton mvb at sanger.ac.uk
Mon Sep 13 10:47:52 CDT 2004

>I'm not sure if I corectly understand this, but it looks to me that I will
>need to have pre-hashed password prepared for MSCHAPv2... well that it is not
>way I want to go. I wish also to use EAP-TTLS-PAP, EAP-TTLS-CHAP and so on...
>and uhm... have password in cleartext form is for support of users better.

Jan, even with my patch that enabled NT-Passwords (which sounds very
much like what Mike and the crew have already done with the main source
anyway), the password is pre-hashed and presented as a string of
hexadecimal digits.

The reason we needed this is that we do not store *any* user passwords
in clear text and MSCHAPv2 will only work with either a LM or NT hash.
This can be obtained from either a cleartext (which can be hashed, but
breaks our policy on non-encrypted passwords), an rcrypt (which can be
decrypted to retrieve the cleartext, and hence generate the hash - we
figured if it can be decrypted it's just not right for us!), or a
pre-calculated hash (not ideal, but fits in with our policy).  Since
there was no support for the way we wanted to store our NT-Password
hashes, I added it.

Clear-text passwords are supported by radiator against MSCHAPv2, so if
that's the way you want to go then you shouldn't need to patch.

HTH.

Martin

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au