(RADIATOR) threading

Andy De Petter adepette at skybel.net
Tue Oct 26 00:43:40 CDT 2004

Hugh Irvine wrote:

> Hello Andrew -
>
> This topic comes up from time to time (see the mailing list archive).
>
> Our standard response is that Perl does not currently support
> "production-quality" multi-threading, nor do many modules. This being
> the case we tend to recommend that people use a load-balancer (either
> hardware or one of the Radiator modules) and multiple instances of
> radiusd on multiple hosts. In addition we suggest a very simple
> approach of simply running an authentication instance and an
> accounting instance on each Radiator host.

Hugh,

Maybe it would be possible, to release a "testing" version of radiator,
which supports the threading? I'm sure that many people are waiting to
start testing a threaded version of radiator, and you guys are the ones
that can meeting them in their expectations. ;)

Even though you wouldn't officially support it, at least people would
have the chance to compare the testing multi-threaded version, against
the current "stable" radiator version.

In any case, multi-threading is on its way, and sooner or later, you
will have to code it anyway, so why not start with it now, so we will
have a stable radiator multi-threaded version by the time that
multi-threading is stable in perl aswell..

Just my €0.02 ..

-Andy

PS: I don't agree in the fact that you say that threading won't
necessarily improve anything. Threads tend to be much faster to create,
and use less memory than forked processes. I agree, perl doesn't fully
take advantage of this yet, but they will once - and we should better be
ready for it. ;)

Andy De Petter - andy.de.petter at skybel.net - MSN: andy at belgacom.net
Belgacom ITN/NTA/NST - Carlistraat 2 - 1140 Brussels (Belgium)
Tel +32 (0)2 7248116 - Fax +32 (0)2 7248111 - ICQ  #1548957
  "Cogito Ergo Sum - I think, therefore I am."
                                                -- R. Descartes
*** DISCLAIMER ***
This e-mail and any attachments thereto may contain information, which
is confidential and/or protected by intellectual property rights and
are intended for the sole use of the recipient(s) named above. Any use
of the information contained herein (including, but not limited to,
total or partial reproduction, communication or distribution in any
form) by persons other than the designated recipient(s) is prohibited.
either by telephone or by e-mail and delete the material from any
computer. Thank you for your cooperation.