(RADIATOR) radiator performance benchmarks?

Rodrigo Nuno Bragança da Cunha rodrigo.cunha at corp.vodafone.pt
Fri Mar 26 12:58:10 CST 2004

I'm sending attached a radius testing tool I've used in tha past to find
various performance issues with our ouw radius servers.

It's a parallel test, and simulates a pool of clients making requests
each X seconds and waiting at most Y seconds.

Requests are generated at a constant rate regardless of answers, and
answers are processed as soon as they arrive. How badly serialization
affects performance in case an authentication source has a delay (and
other authentication sources have no delay) is imediatly apparent in
this test. This is a tipical problem to solve with Fork() in Radiator,
of course, in case you bump into something similar.

Should be easy to randomize the timers a bit and get a more "natural" test

You need a text file containing username/password pairs.

user1 password1
user2 password2
user3 password3
etc...

And the command line is someting like:
./radius-torture-test-v000.pl 500 user-list.txt result-file.txt
radius-server:port 0.5 10

This means you are requesting 500 authentications from the file
user-list.txt into radius-server:port and producing a log file called
result-file.txt
The rate is 0.5 seconds (2 per second) and each costumer will wait for
10 seconds at most.

A resonably fast machine is needed if you want many requests per second
(dual-p3 1GHz works fine for 40-50 per second, perhaps much more).

Ops, I forgot one thing, the Secret. It's set direcly in the code at
line 37.

Hope this helps!

--
Rodrigo