(RADIATOR) Radiator vs Freeradius study

Terry Simons galimore at mac.com
Mon Jun 21 20:29:05 CDT 2004

Hi Tiago,

We have been using Radiator for over a year now in a production
University campus environment.  We chose Radiator, at the time, because
FreeRADIUS didn't have the required EAP type support (TTLS->PAP) that
we decided to deploy.

I think one of the major benefits of Radiator is that you are
guaranteed support for the product (because you *DO* have to purchase
it), but you also get the source code.

Mike and Hugh have been extremely helpful in solving problems for us,
and in some cases they have had fixes for our bugs in less than 24
hours.

Originally when we looked at FreeRADIUS, we asked them what plans they
had for TTLS support, and we were told that if we wanted the
functionality, we could write it ourselves.  (Standard Open Source
answer, I suppose. ;-)

At any rate, FreeRADIUS does now support many more EAP types than last
year when we did our deployment, but I think if I were faced with the
decision again, I would push my campus to buy Radiator, because it's an
excellent product, IMO.

I haven't used FreeRADIUS a lot, though, so I can't really speak for
that side of things.

This may not be relevant to you, but Xsupplicant (the Open Source
802.1X client for Linux) is primarily tested against Radiator, so if
you are planning on using Xsupplicant, it has a higher chance of
working with Radiator, simply because that's what we test against most
heavily.

- Terry

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au