(RADIATOR) LDAP failover for Radiator Radius

Tariq Rashid tariq.rashid at uk.easynet.net
Thu Dec 9 05:11:24 CST 2004

Hi all,

I am working to add LDAP failover capability to the Radiator Radius
configurations.

That is, if the specified LDAP server is down or unreachable, I'd like the
Radiator Radius to fail over to a different server.

We do use a load balancer, but we are looking to cover the case when the
load balancer itself may be unreachable. The aim of the failover is to allow
the radius servers to try LDAP servers located in a geographically distinct
location - in the case of a switch failure for example.

Unfortunately, the "Host" field in the <Authby LDAP2> sections don't allow
more than one target LDAP server.

According to the mailing lists and the documentation, the only method to
allow failover is to wrap up multiple <AuthyBy LDAP2> sections within an
<AuthBy GROUP> section - with a ContinueWhileIgnore AuthByPolicy.

This seems a little cumbersome as we are copy-and-pasting whole <AuthBy
LDAP2> sections and only changing the Host field in each.

Does anyone have any experience of LDAP failover within Radiator Radius? Is
there a better way?

Thanks

Tariq

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au