(RADIATOR) Inner Auth MSCHAP-V2 failure

Alexandre Frederico de Sousa asousa at hiperbit.pt
Mon Apr 12 09:27:13 CDT 2004

I have a Radius environment in which I have set Radius to get the
authentication information from the Active Directory LDAP server using
AuthBy LDAP2. The purpose is to have Cisco 1100 AP's authenticate wireless
users using 802.1x. The wireless clients are mostly running Windows XP,
using PEAP and MSCHAP-V2 to authenticate on the wireless network.

I have configured Radiator's Handler for the local realm and the handler for
the PEAP requests.

I have ran through a series of problems and now I'm stuck with a PEAP
Authentication problem regarding a MSCHAP-V2 Authentication Failure.

Together with this email I'm sending a sample of my configuration and a
level 4 trace file. I was wondering if someone could give me a hint at
what's wrong this time.

Best Regards,

Alexandre Sousa

Configuration File

AuthPort 1812

AcctPort 1813

LogDir  /var/log/radius

DbDir   /etc/radius

DictionaryFile
/etc/radius/dictionary,/etc/radius/dictionary.ascend,/etc/radius/dictionary.
cisco

PidFile /var/run/radius.pid

Trace   4

*** SKIPPED LOG SECTION ***

## Client for local tests

<Client 10.0.0.209>

        Secret passwordgoeshere

        Identifier testelocal

        DupInterval 0

</Client>

## Clients for local APs

<Client 10.0.0.206>

        Secret passwordgoeshere

        Identifier localuser

</Client>

####### Special Purpose Rewrites

####### In case the user has a DOMAIN\USER username, this takes care of it

RewriteUsername s/^(.+)\\(.+)$/$2\@$1/

####### HANDLERS

## To local LDAP (W2K AD Server)

<Handler Realm=SAMPLE.ORG>

        RewriteUsername s/^([^@]+).*/$1/

        <AuthBy LDAP2>

                Host            10.0.0.10

                AuthDN          cn=Administrator,cn=Users,dc=SAMPLE,dc=ORG

                AuthPassword    passwordgoeshere

                BaseDN          cn=Users,dc=SAMPLE,dc=ORG

                ServerChecksPassword

                UsernameAttr sAMAccountName

                AuthAttrDef logonHours,MS-Login-Hours,check

                Version 3

                EAPType PEAP

                EAPAnonymous %n

                EAPTLS_CAFile /etc/certificates/demoCA/cacert.pem

                EAPTLS_CertificateFile /etc/certificates/servername.pem

                EAPTLS_CertificateType PEM

                EAPTLS_PrivateKeyFile /etc/certificates/servername.pem

                EAPTLS_PrivateKeyPassword passwordgoeshere

                EAPTLS_MaxFragmentSize 1000

                AutoMPPEKeys

                SSLeayTrace 4

        </AuthBy>

</Realm>

<Handler TunnelledByPEAP=1>

        <AuthBy LDAP2>

                Host            10.0.0.10

                AuthDN          cn=Administrator,cn=Users,dc=SAMPLE,dc=ORG

                AuthPassword    passwordgoeshere

                BaseDN          cn=Users,dc=SAMPLE,dc=ORG

                ServerChecksPassword

                UsernameAttr sAMAccountName

                AuthAttrDef logonHours,MS-Login-Hours,check

                Version 3

                EAPType MSCHAP-V2

                RewriteUsername s/^([^@]+).*/$1/

        </AuthBy>

</Realm>

The level 4 tracefile is on the attached file.