(RADIATOR) 802.1x and vlan assignment

Dordaneh Arangeh dordaneh.arangeh at id.ethz.ch
Fri Sep 12 08:19:45 CDT 2003

Hello everybody,
I have configured the cfg file for radiator for authenticating with
eap-peap. Furthermore I have added a part under auth PLsql, so as the
radiator sends three attributes (Vlan identity) to the client. cfg file
is included at the end of the message.  The client is a Windows2000 one
and the authentication part of its LAN connection is configured to use
EAP-PEAP. When the PC is connected to the Switch (which is naturally
configured for 802.1x) , it sends access request to the radiator and
every thing is fine. Client is authenticated.
Problems:

1. The vlan assignment doesn't work. Three attributes which are defined
to be returned by radiator (Tunnel-Type = VLAN , Tunnel-Medium-Type =
802 ,Tunnel-Private-Group-ID = xxxxxxx) , are not returned. Instead of
these attributes I see in the trace following strings: (xxxxxx is what I
put for the sake of having shorter email!!)

Code:       Access-Accept
Identifier: 235
Authentic:  <3>&<10><190><4><1><3><203><10><23>%e%<128><9><199>
Attributes:
        MS-MPPE-Send-Key = "xxxxxxxx"
        MS-MPPE-Recv-Key = xxxxxxxxxx
       EAP-Message = <3><10><0><4>
        Message-Authenticator =
<0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0><0>

So the vlan assignment is not done.

2. The windows in the client side is saving the username and password
somewhere and one can not change it any more . It means I can not try
with any other username !!

3. Client is sending priodically an access request with a very funny
username which I never anywhere configured. Some thing like:
 User-Name = "azbycx" and then starts for Access chanllenge and remains
there, neither reject nor accept.

Thanking you in advance for helps and tips.

Dordaneh
cfg File
Foreground
LogStdout
LogDir          .
DbDir            .
Trace           4
<Client DEFAULT>
        Secret  xxxxxxx
        DupInterval 0
</Client>
<Handler TunnelledByPEAP=1>
<AuthBy PLSQL>
        NoDefault
        DBSource        dbi:Oracle:xx.xxxx
        DBUxsername      xxxx
        DBAuth          xxxx

        # Authentication
        AuthBlock       BEGIN \
                           NETngRadius.getUserData
('%n',:passwd,:reply_item);\
                        END;

        AuthParamDef    :passwd,        User-Password,  check
        AuthParamDef    :reply_item,    GENERIC,        reply
        </AuthBy>
</Handler>

<Handler>
<AuthBy PLSQL>
        NoDefault
        DBSource        dbi:Oracle:xx.xxxxx
        DBUsername      xxxxx
        DBAuth          xxxxx

        # Authentication
        AuthBlock       BEGIN \
                           NETngRadius.getUserData
('%n',:passwd,:reply_item);\
                        END;

        AuthParamDef    :passwd,        User-Password,  check
        AuthParamDef    :reply_item,    GENERIC,        reply
                EAPType PEAP
                EAPTLS_CAFile %D/certificates/demoCA/cacert.pem
                EAPTLS_CertificateFile %D/certificates/cert-srv.pem
                EAPTLS_CertificateType PEM
                EAPTLS_PrivateKeyFile %D/certificates/cert-srv.pem
                EAPTLS_PrivateKeyPassword whatever
                EAPTLS_MaxFragmentSize 1024
               AutoMPPEKeys

                SSLeayTrace 4