(RADIATOR) Tarpitting auth requests from naughty users..

Robert Blayzor noc at inoc.net
Fri May 9 08:16:53 CDT 2003

> In our large DSL network we don't have just one customer
> that's doing this,
> we have many. It's a general DSL problem. We developed a process that
> periodically scans the (compact) authentication logfile. If
> there are too
> many failed logins for a certain customer this process tells
> the NAS to
> remove the VC of this customer and restores it after one hour.
> As an alternative you could think of a "CacheRejects"
> parameter in Radiator
> (similar to CachePasswords). This could at least lower the
> load on database
> checking due to these never ending failed logins.

I've searched through the manual and have found no mention of a
"CacheRejects" option in Radiator.  I've thought about what Hugh
mentioned, but in order to do what we want, it would add way to many CPU
cycles to already busy RADIUS servers.

So I'm thinking an option (perhaps feature) can be added to RADIUS to
help us protect RADIUS servers in wild west type of large broadband user
networks.

Perhaps a directive in the AuthBy similar to:

CacheRejects
CacheRejectThreshold X  (default to 5)
CacheRejectPeriod X (default 60 seconds)
CacheRejectExpiry X (default to 3600 seconds, 1 hr)

In this case CacheRejects tells Radiator to start caching Rejects if the
CacheRejectThreshold has been met or exceeded within the
CacheRejectPeriod timeframe.  If it's a positive hit by the criteria
above, the cache entry stays until it expires.  Radiator should do
nothing with these requests other than to immediately send a NAK back to
the RADIUS client. (no lookups or logging other than a log entry to show
the first time someone makes it into the cache)

I know it seems like a lot, but seems like a useful feature.

--
Robert Blayzor, BOFH
INOC, LLC
rblayzor at inoc.net