(RADIATOR) Tarpitting auth requests from naughty users..

Dave Kitabjian dave at netcarrier.com
Thu May 8 15:07:49 CDT 2003

We continue to have the same problem day and night. One ISDN customer
has no idea how he's sending us the requests. Somehow it doesn't matter
that he's paying per-minute charges to have the ISDN line running around
the clock...for years...pounding us with Access-Requests.

Tarpitting is a great idea. But I'm not sure how it can work, since
NASes are designed to retry or move to a secondary server if Radiator
doesn't reply. It seems like the tarpitting would have to be enforced by
the NAS.

Ah, but then it would be really cool if it could be controlled via
Radiator. For example, an Access-Request comes in from IdiotUser so
Radiator sends by an Access-Reject along with a Reply Item:

	Tarpit-Seconds = 300

which tells the NAS to hold the line for 10 seconds before rejecting
him. Hmm, but then I guess that essentially enables IdiotUser to deny
service to other customers by hogging up more trunk time. Plus, if it's
automated, he's just going to keep on auto-dialing.

Maybe if Radiator could send an attribute all the way back to the trunk
group:

	Caller-Id-Block = <IdiotUser's CallerId>

so the call never completes, keeping the trunks free and Radiator
untouched. The only thing better than that might be if Radiator can send
an attribute all the way back to the caller's modem:

	Enable-Electric-Voltage = 750V
	Set-Electric-Duration = 5s

Dave
:)