(RADIATOR) MSCHAPv2 Authentication Bug

Terry Simons galimore at mac.com
Tue Mar 4 23:43:25 CST 2003

Hello,

I have discovered a bug in Radiator that causes MSCHAPv2
authentications to fail in certain circumstances.

I don't understand how MSCHAPv2 actually hashes, but based on the way
the bug manifests itself, here is what I *believe* may be happening:

When using a handler that distinguishes by Realm, if the authentication
needs to be done against a stripped username the authentication will
fail.

For instance...

If the user terry at library.utah.edu authenticates, but the users file
only contains the name "terry", the authentication fails for me, even
though I strip the realm.

Does MSCHAPv2 use the username to hash against?  If so, I believe that
Radiator may be using the unstripped name to hash against, when it
should be using the stripped name, if one exists (since there would be
no reason to strip the name, unless it is required to sucessfully
authenticate, I think...)

Does that make any sense whatsoever?  8-)

If not, maybe my traces and configurations can help ;-)

I've included my user file, a "broken" configuration, a "working"
configuration, and the output (trace 4) of both configurations from my
tests.

For the broken configuration, I used a fully-qualified username during
authentication.  For the working configuration I did not use a fully
qualified name...  (So:  terry at library.utah.edu for the broken
authentication, terry for the working authentication).