(RADIATOR) 802.1x PKI certificate authority: expressions of interest sought

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Mon Mar 31 00:28:25 CST 2003

Hello all,

Those of you with an interest in 802.1x EAP authentication will know that a
number of the now common EAP authentication protocols require a server
certificate and sometimes a client PKI certificate. We ship some test
certificates with Radiator to assist with evaluation and testing, but in a
production deployment you will need real certificates from a public or
private certificate authority.

Further PKI certificates are relevant for IPSec as well as other SSL secured
applications.

Certificates from a public certificate authority such as Verisign are
expensive (US250 per year per certificate are common). If you run a large
number of TLS clients or Web Browsers client certificates, this would fast
become very expensive.

Private certificate authority software (allowing you to generate you own
certificates for internal use) are frequently cumbersome and expensive to
deploy and maintain.

We expect soon to be able to offer web-based private certificate authority
software suitable for a Unix/OpenSSL/Apache/MySQL environment. You can use
this certificate authority to generate 802.1x server and client certificates
for use with Radiator and Windows, as well as web browser client
certificates, private web server certificates etc.

If you might be interested in this type of software, please respond to me
directly at mikem at open.com.au and I can provide further details.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au