(RADIATOR) Wireless Access Points that can do Radius Authentication

Bon sy bon at bunny.cs.qc.edu
Thu Jun 19 07:22:00 CDT 2003

Hugh, Brian, and who else is interested,

	The whole point of going to a "centralized" site like wi-fi.org is
to have trustworthy/(semi)credible entities to conduct the test and to
post the results. First off, I have no relationship with wi-fi.org if
anyone wonders, and I do not embrace just one entity. Rather, it makes
sense for me to embrace whatever entity providing good and useful
services.

	We all know the problems of subjective tests and biased
statements. As Hugh has pointed out, radius support is _not_ the same as
radius full support on AAA or 802.1x. So, approaching vendor or googling,
in my opinion, bears more or less the same risk if one is not applying own
judgement and/or if there is a lack of trustworthy/(semi)credible entity
doing so.

	I still feel some sort of (semi)official entities that can provide
some sort of a validation lab service could be a great service to the
technology users, wireless or not. If nothing else, one can have a
shortlist to start, and perhaps if nothing works, resort it back to
googling or staying on a phone for 45 mins to wait for tech support to
answer a simple question.

	About the time lag issue, it is unavoidable. The question really
is the response time issue. For myself, if I never commit myself within a
month of a new product release, and if whatever (semi)official entity can
have the valuable validation infor/testing/results available within a
month of a new product release, I can live perfectly happy with it.

	In addition, it also has to do with time-to-market strategy and
balance between potential liability on a company's reputation (if a
product has a problem) vs the level of completeness in the
testing/validation phase of a new product. For example, if a company is
reputable and conservative on conducting thorough test before releasing
a product, or if I know the company/organization is not just speculative
on gaining market share, I may be willing to jump into it sooner.

	Hugh, Brian, and perhaps whoever is interested, I wonder anyone
cares to offer your viewpoint on the acceptable lag time for a product
review/test/validation, and what's your viewpoint on having such
(semi)official entities?

	Either case, I think this could be a great discussion and I am
going to re-post this for our students and colleagues here (at Queens
College). Your inputs will certainly help folks in this community as well
as those in the Queens College community to understand this issue better.

	Thanks in advance!

Bon

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au