(RADIATOR) dirt newbie question on moving from flat file to SQL auth

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Mon Jul 21 02:46:10 CDT 2003

Hello Mary Grace -

The first thing to do is to build the tables in the SQL database.

For Microsoft-SQL you should use the administrative tools provided with
the software to first of all create the database, then use the SQL
utility to run the contents of the file "goodies/sybaseCreate.sql". You
should note that "msqlCreate.sql" is designed for a different database
altogether (MSQL written by David Hughes).

Once you have created the database and built the tables, you will need
to create a System DSN for Windows using the ODBC manager, which is
what DBI/DBD-ODBC will use to connect to the database.

Having done all of the above, you can then use the "buildsql" utility
to load the contents of your existing flat file into your newly created
database.

If all of the above sounds too difficult (it isn't really), then I
suggest you find someone close by who has some experience with SQL and
Microsoft SQL in particular who can assist you.

BTW - this topic has been discussed often on the mailing list, so I
suggest you look there as well:

	www.open.com.au/archives/radiator

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au