(RADIATOR) radiator and wireless APs

Jeremy L. Mordkoff jlm at TataraSystems.com
Fri Jan 10 09:25:49 CST 2003

Colubris and nomadix both send accounting start, interim accounting
updates and accounting stops. The nomadix also allows for bandwidth
limit settings per user as part of the auth reply. Neither supports a
backwards radius message for disconnect (as far as I know). Both vary
wildly as how they do failover (colubris ALWAYS tries primary first,
nomadix will stop using primary for a predetermined length of time after
each failure), but otherwise they are fairly similar.

I know nokia and cisco can auth over radius but I know much less about
their details....

As far as EAP versus radius (in your other post)... It's not an
either/or thing. EAP clients can be authenticated using radius, in fact
that's how it's designed to work. The EAP packets are stuffed into a
radius auth request and the server unwraps the whole mess. This is the
primary reason I am using Radiator at all....it was the first to support
PEAP over radius (plus the architecture is so cool)...

Disconnecting users from a server is a major issue still. I have seen
backwards snmp and HTTP messages used, but as far as I know there is not
even an emerging standard here. I would be very interested in anything
else on that subject.

JLM

Jeremy Mordkoff
Tatara Systems