(RADIATOR) radiator stops ...

Matthew Trout MatthewTrout at businessserve.co.uk
Mon Feb 3 04:09:06 CST 2003

> Of course Easysoft OOB is even better as far as
> compatibility/reliability are concerned, albeit at a higher cost.

You're kidding, right?

In production use, Easysoft is absolutely lovely bar for one minor 'feature'
(at least in the version I had) - if the NT side of the Easysoft bridge hits
the full number of permitted threads it then refuses to accept any further
connections without a stop/start on the service. I got bored of trying to
get their support to actually try and do anything to resolve this when the
first six requests produced the reply of "no it doesn't do that, you must
have done something wrong". We'd had too much customer downtime already, and
I wasn't willing to leave something that unreliable in production so I
ripped it out and switched to FreeTDS.

If you're running a fairly low-load system, the Easysoft bridge is just
about acceptable; in the sort of environment I was working in (50 concurrent
connections average, peaking higher) it just couldn't cut it. DBD::Sybase
with FreeTDS performs ~100% faster under heavy loads, speaks natively to the
SQL Server (i.e. no ODBC overhead), and has worked without a hitch since we
put it into production.

- Matt S Trout
Internet Systems Developer
Business Serve plc