(RADIATOR) RE: Redundancy for RADIUS

Dan Melomedman dan%dan.dan at devonit.com
Mon Apr 21 11:20:04 CDT 2003

Paul O'Shea wrote:
> This solution assumes that the underlying network infrastructure
> (switch's/router's/cabling/Internet provider/security/fire suppression/power
> supply etc....) is both redundant and resilient.
>
> The resulting solution can provide 1200 auths/sec.
>
> Also unless you have existing hardware (as we did) I would recommend
> utilising a x 86 Linux platform (RedHat?) as performance (per £) is
> significantly higher - (for RedHat platform Intel/RedHat provide a
> hyperthreading patch to allow dual-pipelining although you would be well
> advised to test thoroughly as there are issues... plus make sure you have
> latest kernel patch - and please note that although I have seen HT give
> c.20% perf improvement on other apps I have never tested it with Radiator)

FreeBSD also supports HT, and is easier to manage to boot. I would
question the gains here since Radiator doesn't use threads
(and I hope it stays this way, I have a boatload of other Perl
complexity/database connectivity issues to deal with such as memory
leaks). RedHat has become too bloated and buggy over the years for
server use. Try Rock Linux, or Linux from Scratch. It doesn't take too
long to customize/strip down Rock Linux. RedHat and friends are too
time-consuming/annoying.
Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au