(RADIATOR) closer:LDAP_INVALID_CREDENTIALS

Jeremy Hinton jgh at visi.net
Tue Apr 15 10:07:08 CDT 2003

Bill,

         We're using CGate Pro here via AuthBy LDAP2 without problems. Our
LDAP schema is slightly different though: uid=username,cn=domain. A couple
suggestions:

- For AuthDN, try just using the username of the authentication account,
rather than the full DN.
- Run radius with LogStdOut and Foreground set in the config file, and put
"Debug 255" in the <AuthBy LDAP2> clause. This will show you the raw LDAP
queries and responses, very useful in debugging. just remember to remove it
before production ;).
- Don't try to use ServerChecksPassword (required if you A-crypt the
passwd). CGate stalls an auth request for like 2 seconds on a failed login
(to prevent mass passwd hacking), but as the LDAP module is single
threaded, this can cause mass traffic jams on a busy server with a couple
failed repeated login attempts. We found this out the hard way. Just use
the normal behavior of retrieving the password and comparing it (requires
clear-text or u-crypt passwords).
- Use SearchFilter and Scope to speed up the request.

Heres our AuthBy LDAP clause, though you'll need to adjust it for your
schema and auth username.

<AuthBy LDAP2>

         Identifier      CGate_via_LDAP

         DefaultSimultaneousUse  1
         NoDefault
         EAPType         notpermitted    # needed to work with nortel 5399/8000

         Host            <x.x.x.x>
         AuthDN          <auth-username>
         AuthPassword    <auth-password>
         Scope           base
         BaseDN          %0=%U,cn=%R
         PasswordAttr    userPassword
         SearchFilter    (%0=%U)

         FailureBackoffTime 10
         Timeout 2

</AuthBy>

Note this may not be the best way to do this, i haven't revisited this in a
year or so, and i do see a few things i might try to change now ;). We also
have a DefaultRealm set in our client clauses, so the %R realm will match
our communigate main domain name. Also, make sure your <auth-username>
account has access right in the directory to access all the needed
attributes, like UserPassword. Hope this helps.

- jeremy

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au