(RADIATOR) IP Lease problem

Skeeve Stevens skeeve at skeeve.org
Wed Sep 25 08:50:34 CDT 2002

Question

We currently have a pool of 64 IP's stored in a database, and when a
user connects AND they don't have a static IP they get assigned one from
the database of dynamic IP's...

The problem I have is that the pool has the Lease Period set to 24 hours
after 24 hours the dynamic IP is reclaimed... which is all good..

But what if the user was dedicated and did not disconnect after 24
hours.
The IP still gets reclaimed.. and can be assigned by the database to a
new connection even though the user is still using it..

If I set it to have no Lease or a Lease longer than, lets say a week and
the user has no stop record, then I risk not getting the IP back for a
while if not at all... and the pool can fill.

Any Thoughts....

Skeeve Stevens, RHCE     Email: skeeve at skeeve.org
Website: www.skeeve.org  - Telephone: (0414) 753 383
Address: P.O Box 1035, Epping, NSW, 1710, Australia

eIntellego - skeeve at eintellego.net - www.eintellego.net
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au