(RADIATOR) MySQL problem

Leon Oosterwijk leon at isdn.net
Wed Sep 4 08:11:46 CDT 2002

Deen,

We were having problems with our RADONLINE table as well. It was stable
and would work until we had a hard mysql shutdown. The table just would
never survive a mysql kill or a sudden server reboot. As first I thought
the system was just in the middle of a write when the shutdown happened
and this was causing file corruption. However the problem persisted
after we switched to a journaled file system. Turns out the amount of
activity on the RADONLINE table was causing a LOT of delete and inserts.
All of this was cluttering up the table making it HUGE eventhough at any
given point there were only a few entries in the table. We started a
cron that repairs the table every night. This seems to have stopped the
table instability.

# now optimize the radpool and radonline tables after a hard day's work
20 3 * * * root /usr/bin/mysql -u **** -h ******.isdn.net -p*****
radadmin -e 'OPTIMIZE TABLE RADONLINE;' > /dev/null2>&1
30 3 * * * root /usr/bin/mysql -u **** -h ******.isdn.net -p*****
radadmin -e 'OPTIMIZE TABLE RADPOOL;'   > /dev/null2>&1

Sincerely,

Leon Oosterwijk
ISDN-NET Inc.
(615) 221-4200