(RADIATOR) Mac OS X Questions

neil d. quiogue neil at quiogue.com
Wed Oct 9 18:40:33 CDT 2002

Hello Marcel,

Even though Mac OS X supports the /etc/rc startup, you would normally
use the System Starter for other programs.  Try to look at
/System/Library/StartupItems for some examples.  The System Starter
would actually look at two directories, the one I mentioned previously
and /Library/StartupItems.

Each services in that directory should have at least two files:
1. The shell script (similar to rc scripts) that has the same name as
the directory where it resides.

For example,

/System/Library/StartupItems/Radiator
has the file
/System/Library/StartupItems/Radiator/Radiator (which is the rc'ish
script)

2. StartupParameters.plist which is a file (I believe an XML file) with
the properties (including when to start up the script) in the same
directory as the rc'ish script.

I'll send the scripts and instructions to Hugh for inclusion to the
goodies section.

Much thanks.

Regards,

Neil D. Quiogue