(RADIATOR) password encryption and proxying to iPass

Dave Kitabjian dave at netcarrier.com
Wed Nov 6 13:22:07 CST 2002

I just observed something, but maybe someone can tell me if I'm right or
confused...

I just noticed that foreign iPass users hitchhiking on our network (aka,
"iPass outbound") are showing up in our Authentication Log, complete
with clear text passwords.

Now, I know this info is MD5 encrypted between the NAS and Radiator, and
then later it's encrypted between the local outbound iPass server and
the central iPass network via a proprietary iPass protocol. But I guess
internal to Radiator it's inevitable that the passwords be available in
clear text? Or maybe it's only necessary for CHAP, but PAP can store the
p/w encrypted so it's NEVER in cleartext?

Thanks all,

Dave