(RADIATOR) Question on FailurePolicy within SQLRADIUS

Martin Edge martinedge at kbs.net.au
Tue Nov 5 16:17:50 CST 2002

Hey Guys,

Quick question (well, it might not be ;)), I have a feeling I might have
asked something along the same lines before..

But I'm trying to test the FailurePolicy settings within SQLRADIUS. Having a
look..

Now, within the code, it's saying if HostColumnDef exists, then use
getHostColumns in order to set the current configuration for the next host
to proxy to. When the failurepolicy is set from retrieving the server, I'm
trying to confirm whether it would be assigning the FailurePolicy to that
one server, just for that request, or to a group of packets to the same
destination server port pair.

$fp is used within the code here, but I'm not sure what that is referencing
.. Appears to be the current packet instance ?

Technically, if there is no host to proxy to, (which I guessing is quite
possible as there is no single identifier for a destination proxy, This is
that NumHosts debarkle again), then it will fall back to the superclass to
fall back to any hardwired hosts. At which point does it honor the
failurepolicy ?

Is the expectation that a FailurePolicy will only be used when the hosts
that "are" avaliable are being ignored? Not when HostSelect returns no
results on the second attempt for those downstreams with an additional
RADIUS server (as defined by the limitations of NumHosts) that don't exist?

I guess the global issue appears to be that a downstream proxy customer
isn't "identified" as anyone in particular within the RADIUS code.

Is there any plans for development within the SQLRADIUS module to create an
pseudo-identifier, to give the ability to configuring information about the
downstream and setting statistics etc. for each Downstream Identifier within
the SQLRADIUS results.. ? Or is this too specific and would be best hiding
in it's own AuthBy Module ?

Hope I'm not being too confusing :-)

Regards,
Martin Edge