Fwd: (RADIATOR) SQLRADIUS questions

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Wed Jan 23 04:03:12 CST 2002

Hello Sam,

Im sorry this is confusing. I will try to clarify.

> Subject: (RADIATOR) SQLRADIUS questions
> Date: Tue, 22 Jan 2002 16:25:58 -0800
> From: Sam Nilsson <sam at enabledsites.com>
> To: radiator at open.com.au
>
> i am using authby sqlradius for our realms.
> we sometimes have some shortlived network disruptions.
>
> recently i did a tail on the radiator log and saw that a busy realm of
> ours wasn't proxying. instead i saw errors indicating that a working
> host couldn't be found.
>
> reading the reference manual is confusing. it says that null values in
> the database (i'm using the stock example version of the RADSQLRADIUS
> table) are ignored. it also says in the authby RADIUS section that
> "FailureBackoffTime"
> defaults to 0 indicating that hosts should always be regarded as working
> by default.
>
> I noticed that FailureBackoffTime wasn't part of the example SQL
> statement for
> authby SQL. Does this mean that it isn't supported in that module? How is
> it decided that there are no working hosts if i haven't set a
> FailureBackoffTime?

FailureBackoffTime for a host is not used in AuthBy SQLRADIUS. It is only the
results of the SQL query that determine which host to use.

One way it could decide there are no working hosts would be if the connection
to the SQL database failed. Radiator would then assume their were no
available hosts until the FailureBackoffTime of the AuthBy SQLRADIUS (as
opposed to a host) expired and the SQL connection was reestablished.

You can alter this policy by providing one or more hardwired <Host xxxx>
clause inside the AuthBy SQLRADIUS. They will be consulted if the SQL
connection fails.

Hope that helps, but please let me know if not.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory etc etc
on Unix, Win95/8, 2000, NT, MacOS 9, MacOS X
Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au