(RADIATOR) SNMP agent, CHAP and Radiator

Tunde Itayemi aitayemi at taralos.metrong.com
Fri Feb 22 04:35:53 CST 2002

Hi All,
Please I have some questions.
1. I haven't been able to configure the SNMP agent section of the radius.cfg file.
the default is:
SNMP
<SNMPAgent>
       rocommunity     RadiatorCommunity
       Port            162
</SNMPAgent>
I have a RedHat 7.2 system (server installation).
I have taken a look at the snmp configuration file (/etc/snmp/snmpd.conf) but can't
make head or tail of what modifications to make. If I start radiator with the default
config, it complians of the "community" entry in the radius.cfg file.

2. Radiator/CHAP/PAP and NASes
I work for an ISP and we are trying to "migrate" away from Windows 2000 server as
our authentication patform. For now, I have radiator installed on a RedHat 7.2 system
configured to authenticate against a remote Oracle database. My problem is as below.
The database contains plaintext user passwords. If my users configure their dialups
to use CHAP, would I still be able to authenticate them correctly? Currently, the Windows
2000 server is "properly" configured - under the security tab, when you select RAS
properties, I have selected PAP alone as the authentication method.
    a. Now, assume the dialup $ VPN connections on my client machines are set up with
        CHAP/MSCHAP, do I need to make any changes?
    b. The RAS->Properties->Security->Authentication method->PAP/EAP/CHAP etc setting -
        does it imply the exchange of password data between Win2K and Radiator OR
        user and Win2K OR ALL three?

My desired objective is to allow my dialup clients to configure their systems to use CHAP,
while I keep my Oracle database with user passwords as plain text.

Thanks.
Tunde Itayemi.