(RADIATOR) Logging failed authentication attempts

Dave Kitabjian dave at netcarrier.com
Fri Feb 15 13:30:02 CST 2002

As a bonus, here's what we do:

#----------------------------------------
<AuthLog FILE>

        Identifier      AUTH_LOGGER
        Filename    %D/Authentication/%R-%h
        LogSuccess      1
        LogFailure      1
        # Note the literal tab characters:
        SuccessFormat   %l%r    \
                        User-Name = %U%r        \
                        Pass = 1%r      \
                        CallerId = %{Calling-Station-Id}%r      \
                        Typed-Password = %P%r   \
                        Severity = %0%r \
                        Reason = %1%r%r
        FailureFormat   %l%r    \
                        User-Name = %U%r        \
                        Pass = 0%r      \
                        CallerId = %{Calling-Station-Id}%r      \
                        Typed-Password = %P%r   \
                        Severity = %0%r \
                        Reason = %1%r%r

</AuthLog>
#----------------------------------------

This formats it exactly like a Radius accounting packet! Then we use the
same process to import this info in near real-time to our SQL database
as we do for Accounting data. The CallerId is immeasurably handy when
they're mistyping the username and password or if the username comes in
all garbled due to line noise.

Tech support LOVES it :)

Dave

p.s. Before those \ characters are supposed to be literal tabs, not
spaces.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au