(RADIATOR) Re: DefaultLeasePeriod

Brian Morris brian at netspeed.com.au
Mon Aug 19 22:32:29 CDT 2002

I think in the case of DSL clients though this is not quite correct.

We have several 000's of DSL clients but only about 25% of them are online at any one time.  Sure they CAN be permanent, but they usually are not.

It is a waste of IP space to allocate a static IP to all of them.  In some business cases it is even desirous not to allocate them a static IP - but rather make it an 'additional' purchase ;-)

We have sometimes run into a problem where if the NAS fails, or the customers DSL router messes up and tries to login hundreds of times a minute we soon run out of available IP addresses in RADPOOL  - upon inspection of RADPOOL it shows that the same user has dozens or more ip addresses allocated to them with a state of (1).

It would be good if there was some method of clearing these up - currently, we run a script which sets the state of all but the most receint allocation to (0) for any user with more than one entry in RADPOOL.  (We don't allow simultaneous logins on our DSL service)

Has anyone else has similar problems and/or found a solution?

Regards,  Brian.