Fwd: (RADIATOR) Issue with restartWrapper

Mike McCauley mikem at open.com.au
Sat Aug 10 23:58:59 CDT 2002

Hello Marc,

On Sun, 11 Aug 2002 11:31, Hugh Irvine wrote:

> Begin forwarded message:
> > From: Marc Liyanage <mliyanage at futurelab.ch>
> > Date: Sat Aug 10, 2002  07:07:08 PM Australia/Melbourne
> > To: radiator at open.com.au
> > Subject: Re: (RADIATOR) Issue with restartWrapper
> >
> > On Samstag, August 10, 2002, at 03:12  Uhr, Hugh Irvine wrote:
> >> Then I use fully qualified pathnames in my scripts (including perl).
> >>
> >> PERL=/usr/bin/perl
> >> RADIUSDIR=/usr/local/src/Radiator/Radiator-3.1
> >> RESTARTWRAPPER=RADIUSDIR/goodies/restartWrapper
> >> RADIATOR_CONFIG=/usr/local/etc/radius/radius.cfg
> >> RADIATOR_ARGS=
> >>
> >> 	PERL RADIUSDIR/radiusd .......
> >>
> >> This way, I can keep different versions of Radiator and switch amongst
> >> them quickly and easily.
> >>
> >> And the same is true of Perl itself if I need to have different
> >> versions of Perl available.
> >
> > This all sounds very reasonable. But then I would suggest that you at
> > least make sure that all scripts you deliver contain the *same* perl
> > line, not some with /usr/bin/perl and others with /usr/local/bin/perl.
> >
> > Additionally, those lines you suggested above should be incorporated
> > into your init script. Explicitly running perl and passing the radiusd
> > or restartWrapper scripts as arguments instead of invoking them
> > directly is a smart solution to my problem, so it would be nice if your
> > init script used this method by default.
> >

> > The reason I'm interested in useful defaults is that we use only RPMs
> > in our system. Ideally I want to use your code unaltered and all my
> > changes or site-specific customizations should end up in my RPM spec
> > file. Every change I have to do in your code means I either have to
> > replace it with our own version or write a separate patch file and
> > apply that during the package build. The /usr/local/bin/perl is an
> > example. The default on almost every system I know is /usr/bin/perl.

That is true enough now, although it was not always so.
We have now changed the default path for all executables in goodies to
/usr/bin/perl for the next release.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Cheers.

Mike McCauley                               mikem at open.com.au

Platypus, Freeside, TACACS+, PAM, external, Active Directory etc etc
on Unix, Win95/8, 2000, NT, MacOS 9, MacOS X etc etc

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au