(RADIATOR) non-standard location for perl?

Neale Banks neale at lowendale.com.au
Wed Aug 7 21:58:17 CDT 2002

Hi,

Grepping through Radiator 3.1, it appears that perl is assumed to be in
both /usr/bin/perl and /usr/local/bin/perl - is there any recommended way
of changing the location of perl (other than hand-editing the #! lines)?

The reason I ask is that I need to upgrade an OLD version of Radiator
which is on a system which doesn't yet have perl 5.005 (highest is perl
5.004).  Looking over the perl-5.005 INSTALL file, it mentions there that
this upgrade can be tricky and the installed modules will need to be
rebuilt - but Tux only knows what I'll break going down that path, so my
incliniation is to install perl-5.005 as say (only)
/usr/local/bin/perl5.005 (and, for now, not upgrade /usr/local/bin/perl
nor /usr/bin/perl).

Speaking of perl versions, Radiator 3.1 (and presumably several prior
versions) require perl 5.005 - but "perl Makefile.PL" appears to run
happily with 5.004 and then "make test" fails in bizzare ways (which I
assume are due to requiring perl 5.005).  Is there any reason that "perl
Makefile.PL" doesn't either explicitly depend on 5.005 or check the perl
version and complain appropriately?

Thanks,
Neale.

Announcements on radiator-announce at open.com.au