(RADIATOR) negative balancetime

Hugh Irvine hugh at open.com.au
Fri Aug 2 20:09:05 CDT 2002

Hello Ronan, Hello Shaun -

This is one of the most vexing problems with the radius protocol as it
currently stands.

Because the radius protocol is based on UDP, packets can and do go
missing, resulting in retransmissions.

As Ronan says, you can use the DupInterval parameter to reduce the
problem, but it can still occur.

Unfortunately there is no *good* answer to the problem at this time
(other than making sure that your network infrastructure never drops
packets and your data links run well below saturated).

This is one of the areas that the next generation protocol (Diameter) is
designed to address.

If you are interested have a look at the IETF web site
(http://www.ietf.org/html.charters/aaa-charter.html).