(RADIATOR) Complex config?

Ayotunde Itayemi aitayemi at metrong.com
Thu Aug 1 10:02:45 CDT 2002

Hi Hugh, Hi All,

I am some "twisted" requirements. My setup is as follows.

1.    3 Windows 2000 servers and 3 pattons at location A
2.    1 patton at location B
3.    All NASes authenticate against radiator at location A
4.    IPs allocated/used at location A different from IPs used at location B (routers inbetween)
5.    Clients fall into two categories (full access can browse) and email-only (192.168.x.x ips)
6.    Email-only clients MUST be able to reach DNS server and Email server.
7.    ALL clients can log in from any NAS

I need a config to do this. I have tried allocating IPs to email-only clients from a single
192.168.x.x IP block via radiator, and using "weighted static routes" on the mail and DNS
servers to implement connections to email-only clients by trying out each NAS server in turn
to see if the client can be reached by that server. I suspect this would degrade performance
with large email-only client base?

The main problem is with the fact that there are two locations and a client's record in the database
can only contain one poolhint. Because I need to allocate IPs differently (different pools)
based on the location to which client is connected (also whether email-only or full access).
So how do I implement a config that enforces simultaneous connection rules;
allow clients to connect from any of the two locations while using radiator to allocate IPs?

I have nearly beat my brains out on this one - all the config options I can think of seem to have one
problem or the other.

Regards,
Tunde Itayemi.